Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
Posted: 5/18/2012 12:39:04 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I went out shooting a few days ago, and noticed that my factory trigger (single hook) on the 7.62x54r vepr has a very rough and gritty creep. It felt like there was a bunch of trash in the FCG. I brought the gun home, and gave the FCG a good cleaning and lightly polished the surface where the trigger locks up with the hammer. It helped, but did not completely fix the problem. Have any of you guys experienced this on the vepr?

I'd like to replace the trigger, but I have no clue what would fit on the vepr or what trigger would be best. So my question is, what trigger do you guys recommend for the 7.62x54r vepr? What triggers will fit?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!
Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 7:32:38 PM
The factory triggers suck for precision work, an aftermarket FCG upgrade is one of the most useful upgrades you can do on a Vepr.

IF
(I don't own a x54r Vepr) they are like the .308s, any AK FCG can be modified to work. On the .308s, the hammer needs to be re-profiled where the carrier rides over it and it needs to be notched for center support clearance as well. Not hard to do if you have the factory hammer in front of you to use as a guide. The right leg of the trigger may or may not need to lightly filed down for selector lever clearance on the .308s as well. I've done this on both of my .308s with polished Arsenal 2 Stage triggers and it is time and effort well spent, huge improvement over the factory garbage.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
topcote
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/20/2012 1:19:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. Here are some pictures of what the trigger and hammer look like. Does anybody know what the large loop is on the trigger assembly? It appears to serve no purpose. I don't know if it is a stabilizer or spacer, it just seems to rest on the receiver floor. It doesn't appear to engage or disengage anything, or serve any purpose. It doesn't resemble a Arsenal, G2 trigger or any other AK triggers. IMO it appears to be a lame attempt by Molot at a two stage trigger. LiquidMetal, how does this 7.62x54r vepr trigger compare to your .308 vepr? I am thinking that the closest fit for a trigger would be the Red Star AK trigger, and I don't even know if that would work. It appears we might be breaking new ground, because there is no information or parts available for these rifles.

Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/20/2012 11:31:53 AM
Here's a factory .308 FCG for comparison:

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
ddnc
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:10:39 PM
My 54r while no match grade trigger, is definitly 2 stage and the let off to release is pretty dang smooth. 1st stage, very slight grit, 2nd stage none at all.
topcote
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/20/2012 10:59:38 PM
Thanks for the great pictures and info LiquidMetal!!!

From the pictures, it appears that the hammer in the .308 and 54r are identical. There are some minor differences between the two triggers, mainly the spacer and the large loop on the 54r. Any ideas where to purchase a Arsenal 2 stage like you have in your .308s?

I did more polishing on the trigger, and it is much better now. I took it to the range and was not perfect, but acceptable. I was able to get nice groups after all the polishing. After about 20-30 rounds the trigger changes. Once the FCG starts to get dirty, you can really feel it in 1st stage of the trigger (not so much in the 2nd). The good thing is that the 2nd stage is very predictable, which allows you to still get nice groups, even with a dirty trigger/gun.

Overall, with a little bit of polishing, it isn't that bad of a trigger. Thanks again for the great time and effort in posting back excellent pictures. Additionally, The rifle operates amazingly well. No malfunctions in over 300 rounds so far.
Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/21/2012 6:22:00 AM

Originally Posted By topcote:

Any ideas where to purchase a Arsenal 2 stage like you have in your .308s?

I got my last one from MidwayUSA, although quite a few places carry them.
ds15
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:57:47 AM
My Vepr .308 FCG looks just like your 54r FCG. I wondered about what the loops are as well.

Liquidmetal, is that the original FCG from your .308?
Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/21/2012 1:08:40 PM

Originally Posted By ds15:
My Vepr .308 FCG looks just like your 54r FCG. I wondered about what the loops are as well.

Liquidmetal, is that the original FCG from your .308?

Yup, factory original FCG, but it's from my '99 .308.

I still have the factory FCG from my 2011 .308, but it's in deep storage (that's code for I know I still have it but not sure where I put it). The 2011 FCG could very well have the loop, but it's been a long time since I have seen it. Changed it out very shortly after getting the rifle.
ds15
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/21/2012 3:29:56 PM
Which FCG did you go with? I'm sorry if you already said, I wasn't paying attention. I understand that the Red Star Arms doesn't always work. For the M76 as well I believe.
Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/21/2012 6:25:45 PM
[Last Edit: 5/21/2012 6:27:49 PM by Liquidmetal]

Originally Posted By ds15:
Which FCG did you go with? I'm sorry if you already said, I wasn't paying attention. I understand that the Red Star Arms doesn't always work. For the M76 as well I believe.

Arsenal 2 Stage Polished and modified to work in a .308 Vepr.

I am one of the few people that do not like the RSA trigger. I have tried it in my M76 (direct drop-in on that rifle) and was less than impressed. For my needs and expectations in a trigger, I have done far better with the modified Arsenal. The Arsenal can be an exceptional trigger if you are willing to invest a little time in it. I polish mine up until they are buttery smooth with a medium to light second stage break. Very nice.
ronswin
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 7:30:32 AM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2012 7:30:52 AM by ronswin]
I have a Red Star Arms adjustable AK trigger in my Vepr II and it has a pull that is close to my AR-15 with a JP target trigger. Once adjusted and locked in it's that good.
AK-47 » Russian