Author
Posted: 5/11/2011 12:54:57 PM
[Last Edit: 5/11/2011 1:09:03 PM by sewagerat]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I have a problem with stovepipes on a new build I just completed. I read the previous posts concerning the same subject but I still have some questions. I took the rifle to the range yesterday and fired 40 rounds and got 5 stovepipes. When this occurs a live round is partially or fully chambered and the spent casing is stuck between bolt face and live round with neck sticking out ejection port. I know it is not under gassed since the bolt always locks to rear on empty mag. I tried two different mags ( colt 30rd. and brownells 20rd. ) with same results. I am using a DSA 16" upper, DSA charging handle, RRA BCG, and DSA mil-spec buffer tube assembly. All parts are new. All spent cases are being ejected to 1 o clock position instead of 5 o clock. I think my problem is that cases are being deflected from rear of ejection port. When I pull the charging handle to the rear the bolt head is flush with rear of ejection port If not a "hair" behind it. I read where some people added a waher to the buffer tube. Does this work? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Also, rifle was properly field stripped and cleaned and lubed prior to going to range. Function wise everything seems normal.
Dano523
Courses avec des cisaillements.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/11/2011 1:34:38 PM
Either the receiver extension tube is not threaded deep enough into the receiver (end of the tube should be kissing the center post of the buffer retainer, or the tube needs to be shortened/re-indexed to work correctly.

If you are looking for a temp band aid, pull the buffer spring and add a few fender washers down the tube so shorting the void.

With the face of the bolt retracting back past the back of port, the spent cases are going to be defected off the back of port right back into the action to cause the stove piping problem.
Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

'Twas not the <cough> sweet and innocent <cough> PlaymoreMinds...

<---skips away in frilly skirts to Candyland, leaving gutters and snorkels FAR behind.
sewagerat
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/11/2011 2:14:14 PM
buffer tube is touching the buffer retainer. I don't think It can be threaded anymore without causing problems and I don't think one additional thread would make a difference. I think I will try adding some washers. I need at least 1/4" mimimum to get it where I would like it. Would adding washers cause any damage to buffer tube or any oyher parts? I might also try the defender D from brownells? Thanks.
Dano523
Courses avec des cisaillements.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/11/2011 9:50:24 PM
Give DSA a call and go over the problem with them.

Best bet is the tube void was milled too deep.

As for the fender washers, not if the washers are just a tad narrower than the tube ID. The recoil spring is going to hold them tight against the bottom of the tube, but still best to replace the tube/resolve the problem without having to band aid the rifle from the start.
Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

'Twas not the <cough> sweet and innocent <cough> PlaymoreMinds...

<---skips away in frilly skirts to Candyland, leaving gutters and snorkels FAR behind.